Full Researcher. Laboratory on Thymus Research, Director of the Oswaldo Cruz Institute. Oswaldo Cruz Foundation. Rio de Janeiro. Brazil.
BiographyFull Researcher at the Oswaldo Cruz Institute
Full member of the Brazilian Academy of Sciences.
2. Academic Degrees
2.4. Post-Doctoral training in Cellular Immunology (1983-1985) Hôpital Necker, Paris.
2.3. PhD degree in Histology (1982) University of São Paulo
2.2. MSc degree in Histology and Embryology (1979) Federal University of Rio de Janeiro
2.1. Bachelor of Sciences, Biological Sciences (1970-1974) State University of
Rio de Janeiro
3. Activities of Research and Teaching
3.21. Associate Editor for the section of Nutritional Immunology at the Journals: Frontiers in Immunology/Frontiers in Nutrition. 2017 - present
3. 20. Director of the Oswaldo Cruz – From May 2013 – 2017
3.19. Head of the Laboratory of Thymus Research, Oswaldo Cruz Institute,
Oswaldo Cruz Foundation, Rio de Janeiro, 1990-May 2013.
3.18. President of the International Society of Neuroimmunomodulation,
January 2012-December 2014
3.17. President of the Brazilian Society of Cell Biology, July 2010-September 2014.
3.16. Editor-in-Chief of the Journal Neuroimmunomodulation. Karger Ed.
Basel, Switzerland), April 2007 – present
3.15. Member of the International Scientific Board of Institut Pasteur, Montevidéo,
3.14. Coordinator of the Inserm/CNPq/Fiocruz/UPMC International Associated Laboratory
of Cell Therapy and Immunotherapy, may 2009-present.
3.13. Coordinator of the Fiocruz/CNRS International Associated Laboratory of Immunology
and Immunopathology – july 2007 – present.
3.12. Coordinator of the MSc Program on Health Sciences, conjointly organized by The Oswaldo Cruz Foundation and the Mozambican National Institute of Health (Maputo), August 2007-january 2014.
3.11. Visiting Professor, Université Pierre et Marie Curie, January -June 2011
3.10. Associate Scientist in the Center for Foreign Affairs in Health,
Oswado Cruz Foundation, February 2006-January 2007.
3.9. Visiting Scientist – Hôpital Necker – August 2001 – July 2003.
3.8. Head of the Department of Immunology, Oswaldo Cruz Institute, 1999 – 2001.
3.7. Coordinator of the AmSud/Pasteur network in Brazil. 2004-2010.
3.6. Coordinator of Biological Sciences in Faperj, 1995-2000.
3.5. President of the Brazilian Society of Immunology, 1993-1995.
3.4. Research Director, Brazilian National Cancer Institute, Rio de Janeiro, 1993-1994;
3.3. General Coordinator of the MSc/PhD Programmes, Oswaldo Cruz Institute, 1988-1993;
3.2. Responsible for the creation of the MSc/PhD programme in Cellular and Molecular Biology, Oswaldo Cruz Institute, lauched in march 1989;
3.1. Associate Professor, Department of Histology and Embryology, Institute of Biomedical Sciences, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro, 1977-1987;
4. Organization of Scientific Meetings
4.20. International Symposium on Neuroinflammation, Fortaleza, November 2017.
4.19. II Thymus Meeting on Transcriptome and Cell Biology, Rio de Janeiro, November 2016.
4.18. I Fiocruz-Pasteur Symposium. Rio de Janeiro, June 2015.
4.17. Fiocruz-Aviesan Symposium on Neuroscience. Rio de Janeiro, May 2014.
4.16. Congress of the Brazilian Society for Cell Biology. Foz do Iguaçu, September 2014.
4.15. The Thymus and T Cell Biology in Health and Disease: Celebrating 30 Years of
Franco-Brazilian Collaboration. Rio de Janeiro, August, 2011.
4.14. VII Congress of the International Society of Neuroimmunomodulation. Rio de Janeiro, April 24-27, 2008.
4.13. XIII Congress of the Brazilian Society for Cell Biology / VIII Brazilian Symposium on Extracellular Matrix / III International Symposium on Extracellular Matrix. Búzios, July 26-30, 2006.
4.12. Co-organizer of the French-Brazilian cooperation in Heath: past, present and future. Paris, November 14-16, 2005.
4.11. Co-organizer of the 1st Joint Meeting of the Brazilian and the French Academies of Sciences. Paris, October 10-11, 2005.
4.10. Fiocruz/Inserm Joint Meeting: 15 years of scientific cooperation. Rio de Janeiro, October 03-05, 2005.
4.9. Co-organizer of the American Pole Meeting of the International Network of Pasteur Institutes. Rio de Janeiro, April 15-17 2005.
4.8. 1st Iberoamerican Congress on Neuroimmunomodulation. Rio de Janeiro, April 10-13 2005.
4.7. Fiocruz/Inserm Joint Meeting on Cellular and Molecular Basis of Infectious and Autoimmune Diseases . Rio de Janeiro, October 01-04, 2000.
4.6. XX Congress of the Brazilian Society of Immunology. Angra dos Reis (Rio de Janeiro), 10-13 September 1995.
4.5. International Symposium: Immunoneuroendocrine interactions in autoimmune and infectious diseases. Rio de Janeiro, 24-28 April, 1994.
4.4. XIX Congress of the Brazilian Society of Immunology. Caxambu, 24-28 August, 1994.
4.3. European Union/Fiocruz Joint Meeting on Molecular Basis of Pathogenesis and Virulence of Infectious and Parasitic Diseases. Rio de Janeiro, 25-29 November, 1991.
4.2. 1st Brazilian Symposium on Extracellular Matrix. Itatiaia (Rio de Janeiro), 13-16 September, 1990.
4.1. International Symposium on Immunomodulators: Biology and Therapeutic Applications. Rio de Janeiro, 26-30 April 1987.
5. Editor for Special Issues/Topics in Scientific Journals
5.7. Hormones, neuropeptides and neurotransmitters in T-cell development. Research Topic, Front. Endocrinology, 2018.
5.6. T-Cell Migration in Health and Disease. Front. Immunology, 2015
5.5. Neuroendocrineimmunology of the thymus. Neuroimmunomodulation, vo.18 (5), 2011.
5.4. Role of extracellular matrix in the immune system. Dev. Immunol. - vol 7, 2000.
5.3. Neuroendocrine control of the thymus - NeuroImmunoModulation - vol. 6, 1999.
5.2. Molecular Basis of Pathogenesis and Virulence of Infectious and Parasitic Diseases. Mem. Inst. Oswaldo Cruz – vol 87 (suppl. V), 1992.
5.1. Immunomodulators: biology and therapeutic applications. Mem. Inst. Oswaldo Cruz vol. 82 (suppl. II), 1987.
6. Thesis Supervising:
PhD Theses: 43 MSc Dissertations: 40.
7.8. Diploma and medal Luis Leloir, given by the Argentinean Ministry of Science, Technology and Productive Innovation. Ceremony held in Buenos Aires, November 2013.
7.7. Diploma and medal of “Chevalier dans l’Ordre des Palmes Académiques”, given by the French Ministry of Education. Ceremony held in Rio de Janeiro, August 2013
7.6. Guest of Honor of the National University of Rosario School of Medicine. Title granted during the international conference: Enfermedad de Chagas: ante sala de los 100 años, on November 15th 2008, Rosario, Argentina.
7.5. The scientific cooperation by Wilson Savino and Mireille Dardenne was chosen to represent successful French-Brazilian collaboration in health sciences, being part of the exposition Médecine, Science et Santé dans les rapports Brésil-France, held from 15 November to 18 December 2005, at Musée du Service de Santé des Armées du Val de Grâce 1, Paris, France.
7.4. Elected member of the Brazilian Academy of Sciences – election held in January 2003.
7.3. Creation of the Post-graduation Program (Ph.D. and M. Sc. Levels) of Cellular and Molecular Biology at the Oswaldo Cruz Foundation, Rio de Janeiro – This program was created in march 1989, and since then received a degree of excellence provided by the Brazilian Ministry of Education, after regular evaluation by an international committee. The award was given in March 2003, in Rio de Janeiro.
7.2. Creation of the first “Symposium on Extracellular Matrix” in Brazil (1990) - This award was given during the International Symposium on Extracellular Matrix, Angra dos Reis, Brazil, September 2002.
7.1. Brazilian Citation Classics - Diploma awarded by the "Institute for Scientific Information" for being author of the most cited paper in Immunology, written by Brazilian scientists, during the 1990 decade. Savino W, Villa Verde DMS & Lannes Vieira J (1993) Extracellular matrix proteins in intrathymic T cell migration and differentiation? Immunol. Today 14: 158-161. The award was given in São Paulo, in April 2001.
8. List of 10 Selected Publications: 2016 – 2018 (out of 315 articles cited in the PubMed database)
10. Golbert DCF, Santana-Van-Vliet E, Ribeiro-Alves M, Fonsêca MMBD, Lepletier A, Mendes-da-Cruz DA, Loss G, Cotta-de-Almeida V, Vasconcelos ATR, Savino W. Small interference ITGA6 gene targeting in the human thymic epithelium differentially regulates the expression of immunological synapse-related genes. Cell Adh Migr. 2018 Mar 4;12(2):152-167.
09. Lemos JP, Smaniotto S, Messias CV, Moreira OC, Cotta-de-Almeida V, Dardenne M, Savino W, Mendes-da-Cruz DA. Sphingosine-1-Phosphate Receptor 1 Is Involved in Non-Obese Diabetic Mouse Thymocyte Migration Disorders. Int J Mol Sci. 2018 May 12;19(5). pii: E1446.
08. Ladislau L, Portilho DM, Courau T, Solares-Pérez A, Negroni E, Lainé J, Klatzmann D, Bonomo A, Allenbach Y, Benveniste O, Riederer I, Savino W, Mouly V, Butler-Browne G, Benjamim CF. Activated dendritic cells modulate proliferation and differentiation of human myoblasts. Cell Death Dis. 2018 May 1;9(5):551.
07. Nico D, Conde L, Rivera-Correa JL, Vasconcelos-Dos-Santos A, Mesentier-Louro L, Freire-de-Lima L, Arruda MB, Freire-de-Lima CG, Ferreira ODC Jr, Lopes Moreira ME, Zin AA, Vasconcelos ZFM, Otero RM, Palatnik-de-Sousa CB, Tanuri A, Todeschini AR, Savino W, Rodriguez A, Morrot A. Prevalence of IgG Autoantibodies against GD3 Ganglioside in Acute Zika Virus Infection. Front Med (Lausanne). 2018 Mar 9;5:25.
06. Linhares-Lacerda L, Granato A, Gomes-Neto JF, Conde L, Freire-de-Lima L, de Freitas EO, Freire-de-Lima CG, Coutinho Barroso SP, Jorge de Alcântara Guerra R, Pedrosa RC, Savino W, Morrot A. Circulating Plasma MicroRNA-208a as Potential Biomarker of Chronic Indeterminate Phase of Chagas Disease. Front Microbiol. 2018 Mar 6;9:269.
05. González MN, de Mello W, Butler-Browne GS, Silva-Barbosa SD, Mouly V, Savino W, Riederer I. HGF potentiates extracellular matrix-driven migration of human myoblasts: involvement of matrix metalloproteinases and MAPK/ERK pathway. Skelet Muscle. 2017 Oct 10;7(1):20.
04. Carvalho Barros LR, Linhares-Lacerda L, Moreira-Ramos K, Ribeiro-Alves M, Machado Motta MC, Bou-Habib DC, Savino W. HTLV-1-infected thymic epithelial cells convey the virus to CD4(+) T lymphocytes. Immunobiology. 2017 Dec;222(12):1053-1063.
03. Losada-Barragán M, Umaña-Pérez A, Cuervo-Escobar S, Berbert LR, Porrozzi R, Morgado FN, Mendes-da-Cruz DA, Savino W, Sánchez-Gómez M, Cuervo P. Protein malnutrition promotes dysregulation of molecules involved in T cell migration in the thymus of mice infected with Leishmania infantum. Sci Rep. 2017 Apr 11;7:45991.
02. Messias CV, Santana-Van-Vliet E, Lemos JP, Moreira OC, Cotta-de-Almeida V, Savino W, Mendes-da-Cruz DA. Sphingosine-1-Phosphate Induces Dose-Dependent Chemotaxis or Fugetaxis of T-ALL Blasts through S1P1 Activation. PLoS One. 2016 Jan 29;11(1):e0148137.
01. Savino W, Mendes-da-Cruz DA, Lepletier A, Dardenne M. Hormonal control of T-cell development in health and disease. Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2016 Feb;12(2):77-89.